Getting Married In West Virginia?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in West Virginia.
West Virginia State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of West Virginia is the beautiful Rhododendron. (Pictured above)
The peak blooming period of Rhododendrons is mid-July.
West Virginia State Fruit
Do you want to use the state fruit in your wedding dessert?
State Fruit: Golden Delicious Apple
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of West Virginia, you must first apply for a wedding license at the County Clerk’s office found in all counties.
Marriage license fee: $56
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in West Virginia: Age 16
- There is NO waiting period, unless you are under 18, in which case there is a 3 day waiting period.
- The wedding license is valid for 60 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- Witnesses are not required in the State of West Virginia.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security number/card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
Summer can get very hot and temperatures are known to be in the upper 90F’s, but they generally average in the low 80F’s. The weather is hot and humid.
Winter weather can get as low as 18F.
Fall time in West Virginia are busy with weddings. The beautiful fall colors perfect temperatures make great timing for outdoor weddings.
Springtime is the least favorited in West Virginia. You might find great deals on hotels for out of town guests, but May and June are known for flooding which can make a big muddy mess.
Popular West Virginia Wedding Traditions
- Engaged couples in West Virginia love the idea of having a wedding in one of the states historic churches.
- Indoor wedding venues are just as popular as outdoor venues.
- Rustic weddings are still popular in West Virginia, whether it’s in a log cabin or a farmhouse.
- Tradition in West Virginia is that the bride’s family pays for the wedding.
- Charleston and Morgantown are the two most popular cities to get married.
- Engaged couples choose the ‘togetherness’ of their friends and family over the look and perfection of their wedding when they say, “I Do”.