Getting Married In Virginia?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in Virginia.
Virginia State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of Virginia is the beautiful American Dogwood. (Pictured above)
American Dogwood blooms in late April and early May.
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of Virginia, you must first apply for a wedding license that is issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
Marriage license fee: $30
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in Virginia: Age 16
- Engaged couples may go to any circuit court in Virginia to obtain this license.
- There is NO waiting period.
- The wedding license is valid for 60 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- Witnesses are not required in the State of Virginia.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security number/card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
The warmest summer temperatures during the summer are felt along the coast, with July temperatures between 70F to 85F. Summertime is the most popular time for weddings in Virginia. The beaches get crowded so be sure to plan well in advance if you are having a beachside wedding.
The southwest and west are dominated by the Blue Ridge Mountains, which bring snow in the winter. January temperatures average between 19F to 42F.
Fall season has the perfect weather. Not too hot, not too cold.
The sunny weather of the spring means postcard perfect pictures.
Popular Virginia Wedding Traditions
- Most engaged couples in Virginia choose an outdoor wedding.
- Indoor wedding venues are perfect for the after parties.
- Photo’s are a popular trend in front of the ‘love’ letters that can be seen all over the state.
- Tradition in Virginia is that the bride’s family pays for the wedding.
- Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Richmond and Charlottesville are the most popular cities to get married.
- Fall weddings are popular in Virginia.