Getting Married In Ohio?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in Ohio.
Ohio State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of Ohio is the beautiful Bright Scarlet Carnation. (Pictured above)
Ohio State Fruit
Do you want to use the state fruit in your wedding dessert?
State Fruit: Tomato
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of Ohio, you must first apply for a wedding license in the county in which one or the other of you lives.
Marriage license fee: $42-$73, varying by county.
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in Ohio: Age 18
- If you are not a resident of Ohio, but are getting married in Ohio, you must obtain your license in the county where the ceremony will take place.
- There is NO waiting period.
- The wedding license is valid for 60 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- Witnesses are not required in the State of Ohio.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security number/card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
Summer months are warm and humid in Ohio with temperatures around 80F.
Winters months are cold and snowy. Temperatures stay mainly in the 30F’s. Around 18 inches of snow falls per month.
Ohio is famous for its fall colors. The colors turn orange and red during October. Havin a fall wedding in Ohio is very popular. Daytime highs in the 70F’s in September and 60F’s in October. Great hotel rates are in the fall months as well.
Temperatures in April and May stay around the 70F’s and the trees and flowers start to bud. Even though there is a strong chance of rain in the spring, the landscape is very pretty.
Popular Ohio Wedding Traditions
- Most engaged couples in Ohio choose to have a more semi-formal to formal wedding.
- Indoor wedding venues are just as popular as outdoor venues.
- Weddings at a farm/barn or beach weddings are just as popular.
- Tradition in Ohio is that the bride’s family pays for the wedding.
- Columbus, Cleveland and Cincinnati are the three most popular cities to get married.
- Edible favors are very popular in Ohio. Sometimes homemade by the wedding party.