Getting Married In New York?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in New York.
New York State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of New York is the beautiful Rose. (Pictured above)
There are over 20,000 hybrids of Roses available.
New York State Fruit
Do you want to use the state fruit in your wedding dessert?
State Fruit: Apple
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of New York, you must first apply for a wedding license at any city or town Clerk’s office.
Marriage license fee: $35 in New York City, $40 anywhere else in New York.
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in New York: Age 18
- A marriage license application can be started online. However, both applicants must still appear in person, together at the same time, at either of the 5 borough offices to complete the application and sign the application.
- There is 24-hour waiting period.
- The wedding license is valid for 60 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- 1 person must witness your signature at the wedding and they must be at least 18 years old.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security number/card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
Summer can be unfriendly in the city. High heat and extreme humidity. If you choose to have a summer New York wedding you will want to choose an indoor venue. Temperatures can reach well over 100F in the summer months.
January is the coldest month in New York, with temperatures averaging 32F. Winters are frigid and snowy.
The Fall weather can be a mix of weather. Usually mild with random cold or hot spikes. Rain is found evenly throughout the four seasons so be sure to check your local forecast if you are holding an outdoor wedding.
Springtime is much like the fall with a mixture of weather.
Popular New York Wedding Traditions
- Most engaged couples in New York choose to have more of a formal wedding at a church setting.
- Indoor wedding venues are just as popular as outdoor venues.
- There is plenty of New York engaged couples that choose to go to neighboring states to get married.
- Tradition in New York is that the bride’s family pays for the wedding.
- Upstate New York, Manhattan and Outer Boroughs are the three most popular cities/areas to get married.
- There are plenty of resort locations in New York to say, “I Do”.