Getting Married In Maine?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in Maine.
Maine State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of Maine is the beautiful Pinecone. (Pictured above)
Maine State Fruit
Do you want to use the state fruit in your wedding dessert?
State Fruit: Wild Blueberry
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of Maine, you must first apply for a wedding license from the Municipal Clerk’s office.
Marriage license fee: $40
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in Maine: Age 18
- Be sure to contact your local Municipal Clerk’s office well in advance of the wedding to find out on what days and during what hours the Clerk will be in the office.
- There is NO waiting period.
- The wedding license is valid for 90 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- 2 Witnesses are required in the State of Maine.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
Summer months in Maine are the beginning of July and run through the month of September. Daytime highs average 80F. Humidity levels are tolerable. If you plan on a coastal wedding plan on nice, cool sea breezes.
Some years are really beautiful with the white fluffy snow. Other years you’ll experience ice. Daytime highs stay in the 30F’s. Night time the temperatures can drop below freezing. If you have a winter wedding your guests will love either sleigh rides or ice skating on the frozen ponds.
Fall is the most popular time for weddings in Maine. The fall colors start to change the scenery. You can count on blue skies and daytime highs around 70F. New England produces the most spectacular displays of color in the U.S.
Maine calls the springtime ‘Mud Season’. With all of the ice and snow melting Spring arrives late in May. Temperatures are in the 40’s and 50’s with frequent rain.
Popular Maine Wedding Traditions
- Most engaged couples in Maine choose to get married at the beach or at a farm.
- Indoor wedding venues are just as popular as outdoor venues.
- Semi-formal and casual weddings are far more popular than formal weddings in Maine.
- Tradition in Maine is that the bride’s family pays for the wedding.
- Portland and Bangor are the two most popular cities to get married.
- Lighthouses are popular in Maine and a great place to have wedding pictures.
- Nautical themes with shells, anchors and ropes are very popular.