Getting Married In Louisiana?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in Louisiana.
Louisiana State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of Louisiana is the beautiful Magnolia. (Pictured above)
Magnolias bloom from April to June, after the completion of the 7th year of growth.
Louisiana State Fruit
Do you want to use the state fruit in your wedding dessert?
State Fruit: Strawberry
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of Louisiana, you must first apply for a wedding license at the office of the Clerk of Court.
Marriage license fee: $25 – $35, varying by parish
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in Louisiana: Age 18
- The marriage will be recorded in the parish where the marriage license was purchased.
- There is a 24-hour waiting period.
- The wedding license is valid for 30 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- 2 witnesses are required in the State of Louisiana.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
Summers can be extremely hot and humid in Louisiana, especially down south around New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Daytime temperatures average around 90F from June through August. Night time summer temperatures cools off to around 77F. Keep an eye on summer weather because most hurricanes roll though Louisiana in August and September.
Daytime temperatures average around 66F. Check your weather if you are having a winter wedding, Louisiana gets around 20 tornadoes annually, typically between January and March.
October is the driest month in Louisiana. Fall is the most popular time for weddings in Louisiana. Fall has the lowest amount of rain during the year.
Temperatures average around 75F-79F. Springtime is a popular month for weddings.
Popular Louisiana Wedding Traditions
- Most engaged couples in Louisiana choose to get married in a church.
- Indoor wedding venues are just as popular as outdoor venues.
- Engaged couples love to include the Louisiana Cajun flare to their festivities.
- Tradition in Louisiana is that the bride’s family pays for the wedding.
- New Orleans and Baton Rouge are the two most popular cities to get married in Louisiana.
- The majority of Louisiana engaged couples choose to have a semi-formal wedding when they say, “I Do”.