Getting Married In Delaware?
Information you might want to know if you are getting married in Delaware.
Delaware State Flower
Do you want to use the state flower in your wedding bouquet?
The state flower of Delaware is the beautiful Peach Blossom. (Pictured above)
Peach Blossoms are produced in early spring before you see the leaves.
Delaware State Fruit
Do you want to use the state fruit in your wedding dessert?
State Fruit: Strawberry
Getting Your Marriage License
If you are getting married in the sate of Delaware, you must first apply for a wedding license at the county clerk of peace office.
Marriage license fee: $50 for residence and $100 for non-residence
- Minimum age to get a marriage license in Delaware: Age 18
- Applicants may not be related to each other.
- You can obtain a marriage license from the county clerk of peace office.
- There is at least a 24 hour waiting period prior to the time of the ceremony.
- The wedding license is valid for 30 days.
- There is NO blood test required.
- Residency is NOT required.
- Witnesses are required in the State of Delaware. Two witnesses are required, at least 18 years of age, at the time of the ceremony.
- Both parties need to be present to apply in person.
- Both parties need to provide a valid form of I.D.
- Both parties need to provide a valid Social Security card.
You can check most recent updated laws here.
Plan Your Wedding According To Your Favorite Season
Summers can get hot in the Mid-Atlantic. Plan on shorts or casual attire if you’ll be outside for your ceremony and/or reception.
Average highs are the upper 40’z and lows are below freezing. Snowstorms are infrequent, but can happen and would make a beautiful backdrop for your winter wedding photos.
As the leaves start to change, temperatures take a dip, but won’t get too cold until after Thanksgiving. Daily temperatures normally reach around 60F.
As Spring flowers bloom, the weather can change quickly. Rain showers are quite frequent in the evenings in late spring. So, indoor weddings in late springs might be your choice.
Popular Delaware Wedding Traditions
- Over half of engaged couples in Delaware choose to have an outdoor wedding.
- Vintage weddings are a tradition in Delaware.
- Tradition in Delaware is having a nautical themed wedding.
- Dover and Wilmington are the two most popular cities to get married.
- Bride’s choose to have their wedding on a boat or yacht when they say, “I Do”.